Wednesday, January 7, 2009

1: The little twins...

While in the woods of River Grove, Kingwood Texas...I came across two newborns. They are always quite close to one another but never together which ensures safety and survival. One was hunkered down by a log...the other was in a stand of large pines...right in the open. She didn't move a muscle as I approached...almost stepping on her in the process. I had no idea they were there.
The one in the open was covered in fire ants which is a common occurance, instincts tell them NOT to move while Mom's foraging. I called a biologist to be sure my interaction would not hamper her future.
I had no choice but to free her of the ants, who at this time had made their way into her nose and ears. She remained quiet as I brushed and picked them off one by one. I then carried her off of the large mound and into some fallen trees close enough to her sibling. I stayed with them at a distance for a few hours until Mom returned and claimed her babes...off they went.
You NEVER know what a simple hike off the beaten path will reveal...thanks for coming by today...get out there and shoot!
TWI