Wednesday, January 7, 2009

3: Opportunity sometimes splashes too...


Opportunity sometimes splashes too…

While shooting some Blue herons feeding in San Jacinto, just 10 feet from my vehicle…I had an opportunity and only pulled off 3 images as fast as possible.
I was focusing in on a Heron driving through the water stabbing some fish for breakfast…all was really quiet. With the camera up to my face I noticed over my right shoulder a huge shadow blocking the sun for a second, the way a plane does when at lower altitudes. Hearing a whoosh right over me I lowered the lens, ducking and looking up, thinking something was going to land right on me.
A second later I heard a splash about 15 feet right in front of me…a large powerful splash, like someone dropping a cinder block into the water. I raised the lens to see a Pelican making a catch emerging and flying away, I popped off 3 images and it was over. The events lasted seconds…this image is the best of the three. You can see the outline of the fish still squirming to get free in the pouch.
A great lesson…always be ready for anything at anytime…you just never know.